How should I care for someone with a spider bite or scorpion sting?

If the person has been bitten by a venomous spider or stung by a scorpion:
  • Wash the wound thoroughly.
  • Apply an antibiotic ointment, if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication, to prevent infection.
  • Bandage the wound.
  • Apply an ice or cold pack to the site to reduce pain and swelling.
  • Encourage the person to seek medical attention. Children and older adults may need antivenin to block the effects of the spider’s venom.
  • If you transport the person to a medical facility, keep the bitten area elevated and as still as possible.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...
How can an animal bite cause an emergency?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Animal bites can cause an emergency if they result in significant trauma to the body and/or an infec...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
If you ever see a child have a run-in with a bee, a wasp, or a pile of fire ants, you know his react...