How should I care for someone with a spider bite or scorpion sting?

If the person has been bitten by a venomous spider or stung by a scorpion:
  • Wash the wound thoroughly.
  • Apply an antibiotic ointment, if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication, to prevent infection.
  • Bandage the wound.
  • Apply an ice or cold pack to the site to reduce pain and swelling.
  • Encourage the person to seek medical attention. Children and older adults may need antivenin to block the effects of the spider’s venom.
  • If you transport the person to a medical facility, keep the bitten area elevated and as still as possible.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...