How do I care for someone with an insect sting?

If someone is stung by an insect:
  • Remove any visible stinger. Scrape it away from the skin with a clean fingernail or a plastic card, such as a credit card, or use tweezers. In the case of a bee sting, if you use tweezers, grasp the stinger, not the venom sac.

• Wash the site with soap and water.
  • Cover the site and keep it clean.
  • Apply a cold pack to the area to reduce pain and swelling.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding
How do I avoid tick bites?
Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease: Use insect ...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...