How do I care for someone with an insect sting?

If someone is stung by an insect:
  • Remove any visible stinger. Scrape it away from the skin with a clean fingernail or a plastic card, such as a credit card, or use tweezers. In the case of a bee sting, if you use tweezers, grasp the stinger, not the venom sac.

• Wash the site with soap and water.
  • Cover the site and keep it clean.
  • Apply a cold pack to the area to reduce pain and swelling.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...
How do I avoid tick bites?
Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease: Use insect ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...