How do I care for someone with an insect sting?

If someone is stung by an insect:
  • Remove any visible stinger. Scrape it away from the skin with a clean fingernail or a plastic card, such as a credit card, or use tweezers. In the case of a bee sting, if you use tweezers, grasp the stinger, not the venom sac.

• Wash the site with soap and water.
  • Cover the site and keep it clean.
  • Apply a cold pack to the area to reduce pain and swelling.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...