How do I care for someone who has been bitten by a snake?

To care for a venomous snake bite:
  • Wash the wound.
  • Apply an elastic roller bandage to slow the spread of venom through the lymphatic system by following these steps:
    • Check for feeling, warmth, and color of the limb and note changes in skin color and temperature.
    • Place the end of the bandage against the skin and use overlapping turns.
    • The wrap should cover a long body section, such as an arm or a calf, beginning at the point farthest from the heart. For a joint, such as the knee or ankle, use figure-eight turns to support the joint.
    • Check above and below the injury for feeling, warmth, and color, especially fingers and toes, after you have applied an elastic roller bandage. By checking before and after bandaging, you may be able to tell if any tingling or numbness is from the elastic bandage or the injury.
    • Check the snugness of the bandaging -- a finger should easily, but not loosely, pass under the bandage. 
  • Keep the injured area still and lower than the heart. The person should walk only if absolutely necessary.
  • Do not apply ice.
  • Do not cut the wound.
  • Do not apply suction.
  • Do not apply a tourniquet.
  • Do not use electric shock, such as from a car battery.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
How do I avoid tick bites?
Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease: Use insect ...