How do I avoid tick bites?

Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease:

1. Use insect repellant with DEET. I'm convinced the benefits of DEET far outweigh the risks—if there are any risks at all. (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that young kids and pregnant women avoid the pesticide. Try oil of lemon eucalyptus or PMD (para-menthane-3,8-diol)—the synthesized version).
  2. Cover up. Wear long sleeves and pants tucked into your socks when in grassy or wooded areas. Light-colored clothing helps you spot any hop-alongs.
  3. Shower when you get home. Ticks don't always bite immediately.
  4. Check your pets. Ticks hidden in your pet's fur and hair can easily infect you—and your pet.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
A bite from a tick can lead to health problems like Lyme disease. Find out how to ward off ticks as Dr. Oz explains in this video.

You can avoid tick bites by:

1. Wear long sleeves, long pants and tuck your pants inside of your socks, so you don't expose the skin. And, wear light-colored clothing so you can see the ticks better.
  2. Using insect repellant like Off if you're going hiking or camping. The CDC recommends people use repellants that have more than 20 to 24 percent of DEET. You’ll want to spray it all over your body. You can spray it on your hands to apply it to your face, just make sure you avoid the eyes and mouth and use sparingly on the ears and the back of your neck. And, remember to wash your hands afterwards. Children should not handle repellents because they are all toxic. An adult should spray it on their hands and put it on their kids.
  3. Take a shower within 3 hours of being outdoors. If you take a shower within this time frame, you should be able to wash the ticks off your body.
  4. Check for ticks. They love warm areas such as the neck, the skull, under the armpits, brawny areas, the belt area and the back. Ask a friend to check your scalp and back.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
What should I do if I get bitten by a snake?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First, get far enough away from the snake so it cannot attack you again.Second, call 911 and get hel...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding