How can an animal bite cause an emergency?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology

Animal bites can cause an emergency if they result in significant trauma to the body and/or an infection.  The family pet, typically a dog or cat, is the most common animal bite reported in the U.S.  Early elementary school aged children are commonly victims. 

Depending on the type of animal involved bites can result in lacerations, puncture wounds, crush injuries and in some cases broken bones. Animal bites can also cause skin infections, abscesses and even sepsis. 

All animals contain a variety of bacteria in their mouths and saliva. These bacteria can be transmitted to humans. Key factors in determining the risk of infection are the type of animal, nature of the wound/injury, location of the bite and any immune system compromise in the victim. Bites to the hand are high risk for infection, even in healthy individuals.

Treatment of animal bites typically includes wound care and antibiotics. Occasionally hospitalization and surgery to clean or repair injuries is required. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the wound is bleeding seriously or you suspect the anima...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...