How should I check for ticks on my child's body?

If you live in an area known for ticks, it's smart to check your kids every night. Baths are an especially good way to find ticks, as they are easier to feel on a youngster's body when she's in the water. Key spots to check: inside elbows, inside knees, under arms, between toes, crotch, neck, behind ears, head.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...
If your child has been playing outdoors in an area where ticks are plentiful, or if you believe your child may have a tick, you need to perform a thorough examination of your child. Undress your child and observe his or her skin from head to toe. It is also important to examine the scalp. This can be more challenging if your child has long hair, and you will also need to use a comb.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...
How do I avoid tick bites?
A bite from a tick can lead to health problems like Lyme disease. Find out how to ward off ticks...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...