Why is my mercury thermometer dangerous?

Mercury is highly poisonous, and the mercury inside of a thermometer can have dangerous health effects if you are exposed to it directly. Mercury is a toxin that affects the neurologic system of your body; its vapor can cause mood swings, insomnia and memory loss, and high vapor levels can damage organs. For infants and children, exposure to mercury can directly affect brain development.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Mercury thermometers contain a harmful substance that can be toxic. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller discusses alternatives to these thermometers.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you...
How can I be prepared for medical emergencies?
Scott A. Scherr, MDScott A. Scherr, MD
You can be prepared for medical emergencies by keeping a list of important phone numbers and medicat...
Support the AED Law and Save a Life
Support the AED Law and Save a Life