Why is my mercury thermometer dangerous?

Mercury is highly poisonous, and the mercury inside of a thermometer can have dangerous health effects if you are exposed to it directly. Mercury is a toxin that affects the neurologic system of your body; its vapor can cause mood swings, insomnia and memory loss, and high vapor levels can damage organs. For infants and children, exposure to mercury can directly affect brain development.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

How should I care for someone having a severe allergic reaction?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition. Give care for life-...
How do I prevent spreading disease after providing emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Avoid handling any of your personal items such as pens or combs while giving care, or until you ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a chest injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for any open or closed chest wound, especially if the p...
What thermometers are available for taking a child's temperature?
Many types of thermometers are available for taking your child's temperature. For example, some are ...