In which environments and situations should I not use an AED?

• Do not defibrillate someone around flammable or combustible materials, such as gasoline or free-flowing oxygen.
  • Do not use an AED in a moving vehicle; the movement may affect the analysis.
  • Do not use an AED on a person who is in contact with water; move the person and AED away from puddles, swimming pools or out of the rain.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Before putting on personal protective equipment such as disposable gloves, cover any of your own cut...
What should I do if my child swallows a coin?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
As long as your child is acting normally (i.e., can breathe and talk and drink fine), try not to pan...
How to Save a Life With the Texas Two Step