First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

When should I go to the emergency room for an asthma attack?

• If you have asthma, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:
    • A lot of trouble breathing
    • Trouble walking or playing
    • Trouble talking
    • Gray or slightly blue skin color
    These are signs of a serious asthma attack. Get medical help right away!
  • ADr. Paul T. David, MD, Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center
    When Should I Go To The Emergency Room For An Asthma Attack?
    When it is clear to a patient that they aren't getting enough air, they should visit the ER. In this video, I will explain how someone should assess the severity of an asthma attack.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • An emergency room (ER) visit for asthma is indicated when home treatments are not working or if the attack is severe. For example, if you have used the maximum amount of your rescue albuterol inhaler or two nebulized treatments of albuterol and are still having a difficult time breathing, you should be seen right away. If you are taking care of a loved one who becomes tired, pale or blue, that person should be seen immediately.
How should I help someone having an asthma attack?