Q

First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?

• A Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of
    When Should I Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
    Discuss with your doctor about when to go to the emergency room, says pulmonologist Harish Murthy, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital. However, if you don't have a doctor, it's best to err on the side of caution. Learn more in this video.
  • You should go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack if you are having trouble breathing despite the use of your prescribed medications. Fast breathing, retractions, using extra muscles to help you breathe, the feeling that air is not getting in, and chest pain are just some of the reasons a person with asthma should come to the ER. 
  • A Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of
    When Should I Go To The Emergency Room For An Asthma Attack?
    When it is clear to a patient that they aren't getting enough air, they should visit the ER. In this video, I will explain how someone should assess the severity of an asthma attack.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • An emergency room (ER) visit for asthma is indicated when home treatments are not working or if the attack is severe. For example, if you have used the maximum amount of your rescue albuterol inhaler or two nebulized treatments of albuterol and are still having a difficult time breathing, you should be seen right away. If you are taking care of a loved one who becomes tired, pale or blue, that person should be seen immediately.
    Should I Go to the Emergency Room for an Asthma Attack?
    Michael LoGuidice, DO, with emergency services at Citrus Memorial Hospital, explains when a patient should seek emergency care during an asthma attack.
  • If you have asthma, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:
    • A lot of trouble breathing
    • Trouble walking or playing
    • Trouble talking
    • Gray or slightly blue skin color
    These are signs of a serious asthma attack. Get medical help right away!
    When Should I Go to the Emergency Room (ER) for an Asthma Attack?
    If you don't have a rescue inhaler and you have shortness of breath, you should visit the ER, says Scott Scherr, MD, from Sunrise Hospital. Learn when else you should visit by watching this short video.
    If you're having severe shortness of breath, you should come to the ER for asthma, says Justin Wang, MD, from Regional Medical Center of San Jose. Learn other circumstances that merit an ER trip -- including a malfunctioning inhaler -- in this video.
    Asthma signs that should send you to the ER include an inability to speak in full sentences and an incapacity to breathe, says Michael Dodd, MD, from Frankfort Regional Medical Center. Discover what else might merit a trip in this short video.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How should I help someone having an asthma attack?