When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?

If you don't have a rescue inhaler and you have shortness of breath, you should visit the ER, says Scott Scherr, MD, from Sunrise Hospital. Learn when else you should visit by watching this short video.
When Should I Go to the Emergency Room (ER) for an Asthma Attack?
People with asthma know themselves very well and should go to the ER if they can't control their condition. Watch this video with Jennifer Dekoschak, RN from Parkland Medical Center to learn more.
When Should I Go to the Emergency Room for an Asthma Attack?
You should go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack if you are having trouble breathing despite the use of your prescribed medications. Fast breathing, retractions, using extra muscles to help you breathe, the feeling that air is not getting in, and chest pain are just some of the reasons a person with asthma should come to the ER. 
When it is clear to a patient that they aren't getting enough air, they should visit the ER. In this video, I will explain how someone should assess the severity of an asthma attack.
When Should I Go To The Emergency Room For An Asthma Attack?
An emergency room (ER) visit for asthma is indicated when home treatments are not working or if the attack is severe. For example, if you have used the maximum amount of your rescue albuterol inhaler or two nebulized treatments of albuterol and are still having a difficult time breathing, you should be seen right away. If you are taking care of a loved one who becomes tired, pale or blue, that person should be seen immediately.
Michael LoGuidice, DO, with emergency services at Citrus Memorial Hospital, explains when a patient should seek emergency care during an asthma attack.
Should I Go to the Emergency Room for an Asthma Attack?
You should go to the ER for an asthma attack when you are unable to speak, breathing heavily and using your inhaler much more frequently than normal, suggests David Kamrava, MD, of West Hills Hospital & Medical Center. Watch this video to learn more.
When Should I Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
Asthma signs that should send you to the ER include an inability to speak in full sentences and an incapacity to breathe, says Michael Dodd, MD, from Frankfort Regional Medical Center. Discover what else might merit a trip in this short video.
If you have asthma, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:
  • A lot of trouble breathing
  • Trouble walking or playing
  • Trouble talking
  • Gray or slightly blue skin color
These are signs of a serious asthma attack. Get medical help right away!
In this video, Christopher Crowell, MD from StoneSprings Hospital Center explains when an asthma attack may warrant a visit to the emergency room.
If someone is experiencing worsening breathing problems and shortness of breath, you should go to the emergency room to be evaluated. Watch Jayson Tappan, MD, of Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center, explain more.
Discuss with your doctor about when to go to the emergency room, says pulmonologist Harish Murthy, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital. However, if you don't have a doctor, it's best to err on the side of caution. Learn more in this video.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions