When should I take my child to the emergency room for a rash?

It can be difficult to determine whether you should treat your child's rash or skin irritation at home, call your pediatrician or seek emergency care. Rashes are commonly caused by:
  • allergic reactions to shampoos, detergents or soaps
  • reactions to hot or cold
  • reactions to stress or embarrassment
  • reactions to a viral infection
Non-emergency rashes will generally respond to home care. If it persists, contact your child's pediatrician.

More serious rashes may require emergency care. The following symptoms may help you determine whether the rash requires a trip to the pediatric emergency room (ER):
  • fever
  • joint pain
  • blisters in mouth or skin peeling away
  • shortness of breath
  • swelling or tightness in the throat
  • areas of tenderness
  • headache
  • streaks of red
  • bleeding or bruising under the rash
If you think your child has developed the rash in reaction to a medication, stop giving it to your child immediately and call your child's pediatrician. Get clearance from your pediatrician before resuming the medication.

If your child is suffering from a recurring or persistent rash, plan a visit to your child's pediatrician. It may indicate an ongoing allergic reaction or a skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I prepare for heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events?
The best way to prevent heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events is hydration, hydration, hyd...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
Survival Skills From a Former Navy SEAL Medic