What should I do if my child has a high fever?

A fever is a temperature of 100.4 or higher, but sometimes a child's behavior when feverish is a better indicator of the severity. In this video Tanya Altmann, MD, pediatrician, discusses how to know when you should call the doctor.
Any time your child has a high fever, consult with your pediatrician and make a decision together about what the right plan of action is, whether that means an emergency room visit, or a visit to the pediatrician. Find out if there's anything you can do at home prior to an emergency room visit. For instance, you may need to medicate the child. Also, assess if there are any other symptoms related to the fever or if the child is behaving differently.
Parents are needlessly horrified by fevers. Remember, a high fever doesn’t necessarily mean it’s serious. Most severe infections that are accompanied by a high fever (such as meningitis and other bacterial blood infections) are less common now due to vaccinations. Fevers are the body’s way of fighting infection, and kids tend to run higher fevers than adults. In many ways, it means the body is doing its job! What’s more important is how your child looks and responds to you. If your child looks and acts sick or is extremely lethargic, call your pediatrician. Again, if you have a strong hunch that it’s really an emergency, don’t hesitate to go to the Emergency Department (ED). When kids have a fever, it’s okay to give Children’s Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Children’s Motrin (ibuprofen) if you think it will make them more comfortable. Just remember to tell the nurse and doctor about the fever reducer if you go to the ED. And never give your child aspirin!

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do if my child swallows a coin?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
As long as your child is acting normally (i.e., can breathe and talk and drink fine), try not to pan...
What should I do if I have determined that an emergency scene is unsafe?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If dangers threaten, stay at a safe distance and call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediatel...
If I am with an injured person, when do I give care before calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With Care First situations, the conditions often are related to breathing emergencies.  Care Firs...