What is the shock position in first aid?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Placing a victim in the shock position helps to increase blood return to the heart:
  • Lay victim on back. Don't place pillow under head.
  • Elevate legs (if not painful) above the heart level or a minimum of 8 - 12 inches / 20 - 30 centimeters above head level.
  • Cover to maintain body temperature and keep victim comfortable.
Do not put victim in the shock position if spinal injury is suspected.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?
An emergency room (ER) visit for asthma is indicated when home treatments are not working or if the ...
How do I remove my gloves after giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving care and making sure to never touch the bare skin with the outside of either glove, r...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag