What is the shock position in first aid?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Placing a victim in the shock position helps to increase blood return to the heart:
  • Lay victim on back. Don't place pillow under head.
  • Elevate legs (if not painful) above the heart level or a minimum of 8 - 12 inches / 20 - 30 centimeters above head level.
  • Cover to maintain body temperature and keep victim comfortable.
Do not put victim in the shock position if spinal injury is suspected.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I care for a crush injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Care for specific injuries found and assume that internal injuries are present. Also care for shock....
Should I call 9-1-1 in an emergency, even if I can't give care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Always call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number to alert emergency personnel, even if you decide...
How to Use an AED
How to Use an AED