What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you are not cut out for hands-on help at the scene of a medical emergency, you can still help. The fact that you know how to get help and can communicate effectively will make a difference.

It's also important to exercise compassion and understanding for the victim's situation. Your job is to stay calm and to reassure the victim without making false promises. Always remember to give the victim as much privacy as possible, including asking observers to act as a screen by facing out from the situation.  Again, thinking ahead about this and the role you might play will make a difference in ensuring the effectiveness of your assistance.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
Should I call 9-1-1 if someone is ill because of substance abuse?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the person: Is unconscious, confused, or seems to be ...
If I am with an injured person, when do I call 9-1-1 before giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call first (call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number before giving care) situations are likely to be...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign