What are the methods for taking a child or infant's temperature?

There are several methods for taking a child or infants temperature. Rectal temperatures are often considered the most accurate. An oral temperature is often difficult to obtain in a child or infant. An axillary temperature is one taken under the armpit. This is quite easy to obtain, but lacks accuracy. There are also temperature scanners that can be used on the forehead or temple. Ear canal temperatures are a very common method as these are relatively accurate and easy to obtain.

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

There are several methods of taking one's temperature, but for an infant the rectal method is the most accurate. For older children other methods such as oral, ear, and forehead are available. Today, digital thermometers are popular.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
In an emergency, how do I determine if the scene is safe?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene safe fo...
What should I keep in my medicine cabinet?
Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MDDr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
This is a very difficult question to answer as what is stocked in a medicine cabinet will vary great...
Support the AED Law and Save a Life
Support the AED Law and Save a Life