What can make an injured or ill child's or infant's heart stop?

When a child’s or an infant’s heart stops, it usually is the result of a breathing emergency.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

How can I tell whether my child's medical problem is an emergency?
A pediatric emergency is any unforeseen, sudden situation during which you truly believe that your c...
Should I call 9-1-1 if someone is ill because of substance abuse?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the person: Is unconscious, confused, or seems to be ...
How can I be prepared for medical emergencies?
Scott A. Scherr, MDScott A. Scherr, MD
You can be prepared for medical emergencies by keeping a list of important phone numbers and medicat...
How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...