What is the first thing I should do in a medical emergency?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene safe for me?" before attempting a rescue. Too often well-intentioned rescuers become victims themselves when they risk their safety to help others. Don't think that rushing in will make you a hero. If the area is unsafe, go for help or put on the personal protective equipment (PPE) that will permit you to assist safely.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I remove my gloves after giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving care and making sure to never touch the bare skin with the outside of either glove, r...
How can the 9-1-1 call taker help me with emergency first aid?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many 9-1-1 call takers also are trained to give first aid instructions, so they can assist you w...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops