What is the first thing I should do in a medical emergency?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene safe for me?" before attempting a rescue. Too often well-intentioned rescuers become victims themselves when they risk their safety to help others. Don't think that rushing in will make you a hero. If the area is unsafe, go for help or put on the personal protective equipment (PPE) that will permit you to assist safely.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do first when I get to an injured person when giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the scene and the person.Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.Care for the person.
What should I do if someone has a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, someone should be available to relay instructions if the emergency i...
How to Save a Life With the Texas Two Step