What is the first aid treatment for seizures?

If someone around you is having a seizure it is important to stay calm. The person should be lowered gently to the floor to prevent falls or further harm. Any obstacles should be removed from the area. The person should be turned to the side, if possible, to open the airway and to prevent any vomit from going into the airway. If the seizure lasts more than five minutes or if the person seems to have any difficulty with breathing, 911 should be called.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

If I am with an injured person, when do I give care before calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With Care First situations, the conditions often are related to breathing emergencies.  Care Firs...
If I am with an injured person, when do I call 9-1-1 before giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call first (call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number before giving care) situations are likely to be...
What is the first thing I should do in a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene saf...
How do I prevent spreading disease after providing emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Avoid handling any of your personal items such as pens or combs while giving care, or until you ...