What emergency items should be in my family medicine cabinet?

Scott A. Scherr, MD
Emergency Medicine
In your medicine cabinet, you should always have: aspirin for chest pain or if you are at risk for cardiac disease, antihistamine for any type of an allergic reaction, ibuprofen and acetaminophen for any muscular and skeletal injuries and antibiotic ointment for minor cuts and scrapes.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
If my child is running a low fever, should I keep her home from school?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Thermometers can sometimes be inaccurate, so it's important to also note how your child is acting. I...
How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...
Survival Skills From a Former Navy SEAL Medic