What should I do if someone has a medical emergency?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
During a medical emergency, someone should be available to relay instructions if the emergency is not near a phone. It’s also a good idea to check the victim for medical information jewelry and to report findings to the dispatcher. Remain calm and listen carefully -- the dispatcher may give you valuable first-aid instructions for aiding the victim until help arrives. And please, stay on the phone until the dispatcher says it is okay to hang up.

When you call for help, be ready to provide the following information:
  • your name
  • your location
  • description of the emergency
  • number of persons ill or injured
  • your phone number
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
How to Save a Life With the Texas Two Step