What do I do if I have a rash?

If you have a rash of unknown origin, you want to clean and dry the area. Use a gentle soap, one with out antimicrobial properties, and pat the rash dry. Try to identify any possible agents that may have caused the rash. These may include the following:

• New laundry soap
  • New dryer sheets
  • New clothes softener
  • New body soap
  • New cosmetics
  • New perfumes
  • Environmental exposures (plants, grasses, animals, pollens)
  • New medications

Do your best to identify the source of the rash and then consult with your primary health care provider to determine the best course of treatment. Don't just apply anti-itch cream as this can make some rashes worse. 

If at any time, you begin to experience shortness of breath, call 911 as this may be an indication of a severe allergic reaction that is affecting your airway. 

Most rashes are not dangerous. If you have a rash that is itchy you can use a topical corticosteroid lotion such as hydrocortisone 1%, which can be purchased over the counter. The symptoms may also improve with an antihistamine tablet such as Benadryl, Claritin or Zyrtec, which can also be purchased over the counter. If these simple remedies do not help or if the symptoms become more severe and there is any associated breathing difficulty, then prompt medical attention is recommended.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
If someone becomes suddenly ill, what conditions should I care for first?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
First care for life-threatening conditions such as unconsciousness; trouble breathing; no breath...
What should I do if someone has a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, someone should be available to relay instructions if the emergency i...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops