What should I do if my child is not breathing?

Check the airway to make sure there are no objects blocking the windpipe in the back of the throat. Next, tilt the head back slightly to ensure the airway is maximally open. Immediately administer CPR and contact emergency services because this is a potentially life-threatening situation.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
If someone becomes suddenly ill, what conditions should I care for first?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
First care for life-threatening conditions such as unconsciousness; trouble breathing; no breath...
What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
How CPR Saves Lives
How CPR Saves Lives