What should I do if my child has a fever?

A child’s fever can be anxiety-provoking for many parents, who often do anything possible to bring their child’s temperature back to normal. But parents should understand that a fever may actually benefit generally healthy children.

A report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) attempts to clarify guidelines for treatment of fevers and to remind parents that a fever is usually just the body’s natural defense mechanism against infections. Lowering a fever may actually prolong an illness. The AAP recommends that, in general, parents should only treat a fever if it makes their child feel uncomfortable.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do if someone is impaled?
If you or someone is impaled on an object, do not remove the object. Learn the emergency steps t...
How should I call for help during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
How you call for help when helping during a medical emergency should be a consideration. In most...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag