What can I do for my child at home if he or she has a fever?

Home remedies, such as a tepid bath, are rarely necessary to treat fevers and have not been shown to be effective in lowering temperatures. Keeping your child well hydrated, well rested and comfortable is usually the best treatment.

Consider that fever can be protective. Theoretically, the fever causes a hostile environment for the virus, thus helping limit the disease. So what I usually tell my patient's parents is that if the child is acting and playing normally, don't treat the fever unless the temperature is greater than 103. Otherwise treat how the child feels. If the child has aches and pains and has a fever then go ahead and give the recommended dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I keep in my medicine cabinet?
Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MDDr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
This is a very difficult question to answer as what is stocked in a medicine cabinet will vary great...
What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Before putting on personal protective equipment such as disposable gloves, cover any of your own cut...
How to Save a Life With the Texas Two Step