Should I use an adult AED and adult pads on a child in an emergency?

Do not use an AED and pads designed for adults on a child younger than 8 or weighing less than 55 pounds unless pediatric AED pads are not available.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Should I call 9-1-1 if someone is ill because of substance abuse?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the person: Is unconscious, confused, or seems to be ...
What personal protective equipment should be in a first aid kit?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission when giving care, stock your first aid kit with personal protect...
What medical conditions could prevent an injured person from speaking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In some cases, the person may not be able to speak because of a medical condition such as a lary...
How should I handle a victim in a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
After you've determined that it is safe for you to enter the area, approach the victim. As you d...