How do I remove my gloves after giving emergency care?

After giving care and making sure to never touch the bare skin with the outside of either glove, remove your gloves by performing the following steps:

PINCH GLOVE
Pinch the palm side of one glove near the wrist. Carefully pull the glove off so that it is inside out.

[media id="PRD__4d88fb82b36234_98118197" title="Remove First Glove"]

SLIP TWO FINGERS UNDER GLOVE
Hold the glove in the palm of the remaining gloved hand. Slip two fingers under the glove at the wrist of the remaining gloved hand.

[media id="PRD__4d88fbcabb7366_62214445" title="Removing Second Glove"]

PULL GLOVE OFF
Pull the glove until it comes off, inside out, so that the first glove ends up inside the glove just removed.

DISPOSE OF GLOVES AND WASH HANDS

After removing the gloves:

• Dispose of gloves in the appropriate biohazard container.
  • Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm running water, if available.
  • Otherwise, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to clean the hands if they are not visibly soiled.

American Red Cross, glove inside out, pull towards  fingertips, remove

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What steps would a reasonable and prudent person take in an emergency?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
The best thing to do in an emergency is to call for help. The best way to call for help is to contac...
How can the 9-1-1 call taker help me with emergency first aid?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many 9-1-1 call takers also are trained to give first aid instructions, so they can assist you w...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign