How can I tell if an adult or a child is conscious at an emergency scene?

The adult or child may be able to speak to you. He or she may be moaning, crying, making some other noise or moving. If the person is conscious, reassure him or her and try to find out what happened. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What emergency items should be in my family medicine cabinet?
Scott A. Scherr, MDScott A. Scherr, MD
In your medicine cabinet, you should always have: aspirin for chest pain or if you are at risk for c...
What should you do if someone passes out?
If someone passes out and does not wake back up immediately, call 911. If someone passes out and wak...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag