How can I tell if an adult or a child is unconscious at an emergency scene?

In order to determine if a person is unconscious at the scene of an emergency, you should first call their name or try shaking them. If they do not respond to this, then you should proceed to check whether they respond to pain by using your knuckles to rub firmly over their breastbone. If patient does not respond to any of these measures, then they would be considered unconscious.
If an adult or a child is silent and not moving, he or she may be unconscious. Tap him or her on the shoulder, and ask if he or she is OK. Use the person’s name if you know it. Speak loudly. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What Should I Do If Someone Is Impaled?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Impaled?