How can I tell if an adult or a child is unconscious at an emergency scene?

If an adult or a child is silent and not moving, he or she may be unconscious. Tap him or her on the shoulder, and ask if he or she is OK. Use the person’s name if you know it. Speak loudly. 
In order to determine if a person is unconscious at the scene of an emergency, you should first call their name or try shaking them. If they do not respond to this, then you should proceed to check whether they respond to pain by using your knuckles to rub firmly over their breastbone. If patient does not respond to any of these measures, then they would be considered unconscious.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How can someone at work help me if I have a seizure?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The best thing you can do for them is to protect them from injury during the seizure. Lay them on th...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign