How can I tell if an infant is unconscious at an emergency scene?

If you are not sure whether an infant is unconscious, tap the infant’s shoulders or flick the bottom of the infant's foot and ask if the infant is OK to see if he or she responds.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
If my child is running a low fever, should I keep her home from school?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Thermometers can sometimes be inaccurate, so it's important to also note how your child is acting. I...
What thermometers are available for taking a child's temperature?
Many types of thermometers are available for taking your child's temperature. For example, some are ...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...