What medical conditions could prevent an injured person from speaking?

In some cases, the person may not be able to speak because of a medical condition such as a laryngectomy. A person whose larynx (voice box) was surgically removed breathes through a permanent opening, or stoma, in the neck and may not be able to speak.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
How can I tell if an adult or a child is conscious at an emergency scene?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The adult or child may be able to speak to you. He or she may be moaning, crying, making some ot...
What is the recovery position in first aid?
The recovery position in first aid is designed to maintain the airway of an unconscious person. Ther...