Is it common for children to have a fever with illnesses?

Fever is a common problem with illness in children. It often results from an infection caused by a virus or bacteria (germ). Some infections are serious and need to be cared for in the hospital. Many others can be cared for at home.

NOTE: For babies less than 24 months old – take the temperature in the rectum (the opening where the bowel movement or stool comes out). Other methods are not as accurate in infants.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
What medical conditions could prevent an injured person from speaking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In some cases, the person may not be able to speak because of a medical condition such as a lary...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign