What should I do if I must leave an unconscious person to get help?

If you must leave the person to get help, place him or her into a modified high arm in endangered spine (H.A.IN.E.S.) recovery position.

If there is no indication of an endangered spine, place the hand of the upper arm palm-side down with the fingers under the armpit of the extended lower arm. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What should I do if someone is impaled?
If you or someone is impaled on an object, do not remove the object. Learn the emergency steps t...
How can I tell if an adult or a child is conscious at an emergency scene?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The adult or child may be able to speak to you. He or she may be moaning, crying, making some ot...
What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An emergency call taker or dispatcher will ask for your phone number and location and will ask o...
What is an automated external defibrillator (AED)?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
An automated external defibrillator (AED) can help save the victim’s life if given within minutes of...