How should I treat my child’s fever?

Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child.  In general, not all fevers need to be treated. Some reasons to treat a fever include if your child:

• Is not comfortable when the fever is high.
  • Will not drink enough fluids when the fever is high.
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow include:
  • Give acetaminophen (Tylenol® or other less costly store brand). Follow the directions on the box carefully or ask your child’s doctor how much medicine to give.

- This is often the only medicine a child with fever needs to feel better.

- It may take 60 to 90 minutes for these medicines to work.

- Do not give acetaminophen to babies under 3 months of age without a doctor’s order.

- Do not give your child more than 5 doses of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period.

• If you give your child the correct dose of acetaminophen every four hours and he is still not comfortable, you may give him ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil® or other less costly store brand) every six hours instead. If you do this, stop giving him the acetaminophen.

- Do not give ibuprofen to babies less than 6 months of age without a doctor’s order.

- If your child has chickenpox, asthma, kidney problems or bleeding problems, ask your
        child’s doctor before giving ibuprofen.

- Follow the directions on the box carefully or ask his doctor how much medicine to give.

• Do not give any aspirin.
  • Check with your child’s doctor or pharmacist before giving acetaminophen or ibuprofen with other medicines. This includes over-the-counter medicines.
  • Tell your child’s doctor if your child is taking any vitamins, herbal products or other supplements or home remedies.
  • Dress your child very lightly. Do not bundle or cover with a blanket.
  • Give him lots of cool liquids.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
What will emergency medical services (EMS) need to know when I call?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Generally people call emergency medical services via the 9-1-1 number for their community. The 9-1-1...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign