How should I prepare for heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events?

The best way to prevent heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events is hydration, hydration, hydration. When it is hot outside we lose a lot of fluids just to keep our body cool. As we exercise, our body temperature increases and we sweat, so we lose even more fluids. Things that cause fluid loss, like drinking alcohol the night before or coffee prior to the event, can further aggravate our cooling system.

Clothing can also help you stay cool. Cotton used to be the standard, but cotton stays wet after you sweat. Nowadays, clothing made of moisture-wicking synthetic fabrics helps keep you cooler. And don't forget to use sunblock to prevent the possibility of sunburn.
The risk of heat-related illness is extremely high in outdoor conditions. To be prepared, it's important to take every precaution, including having ice baths and towels available.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What is the first thing I should do in a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene saf...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with an abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for any serious abdominal injury.
How Lifesaving CPR Works
How Lifesaving CPR Works