How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?

Angela Lowery
Family Medicine

If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency trained workers are in route. If time permits put on gloves. Apply direct pressure to the bleeding area with a towel or cloth, until the bleeding stops. If the bleeding does not stop and it soaks through the towel or cloth, do not remove, instead add more cloths or towels and apply even more pressure. If there are no fractures, head, neck or spinal injuries, elevate the affected area. If bleeding stops, before emergency personnel arrives, continue to hold pressure and keep the person as calm as possible.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How can I tell whether my child's medical problem is an emergency?
A pediatric emergency is any unforeseen, sudden situation during which you truly believe that your c...
If I am with an injured person, when do I call 9-1-1 before giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call first (call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number before giving care) situations are likely to be...
Survival Skills From a Former Navy SEAL Medic