How can I help someone who is hyperventilating?

A person who is hyperventilating because of an emotion, such as excitement or fear, may resume normal (effective) breathing if he or she is reassured and calm.

Tell the person to relax and breathe slowly.

If the person's breathing does not slow down, a more serious problem may be the cause.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How can I tell whether my child's medical problem is an emergency?
A pediatric emergency is any unforeseen, sudden situation during which you truly believe that your c...
What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
How CPR Saves Lives
How CPR Saves Lives