How can I help someone who is having shortness of breath?

If someone is having shortness of breath, provide calm, steady reassurance. If there is a known history of asthma or emphysema, help the person find and use his or her medication, such as inhalers. Virtually any other true shortness of breath should be evaluated by a medical professional. If you are unsure how serious it is, it is better to be safe and call an ambulance for prompt attention.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
How do I remove my gloves after giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving care and making sure to never touch the bare skin with the outside of either glove, r...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops