How should I treat my child's fever after surgery?

It is very normal for a child to have a low fever in the first 24 hours after surgery. You need to call your doctor if the temperature goes above 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38.3 degrees Celsius). Encouraging your child to drink fluids every few minutes may help. You may also give acetaminophen to control the temperature. Common brand names for acetaminophen are Tylenol, Tempra, Liquiprin, and Panadol. Be aware that some pain medications contain acetaminophen. If you are already giving pain medications that have acetaminophen, do not give any more acetaminophen without calling your doctor first.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What personal protective equipment should be in a first aid kit?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission when giving care, stock your first aid kit with personal protect...
What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops