How should I care for someone having a severe allergic reaction?

Caring for someone having a severe allergic reaction is an emergency. Give the person epinephrine right way. Epinephrine comes in an autoinjector, which you use to inject the medicine into the person's thigh. The person should lie down (on the back if feeling sick) and stay lying down until he or she feels better.

If the person still has symptoms after using epinephrine, you should follow his or her emergency plan. You might need to give another dose of epinephrine or get the person to the emergency room for more treatment. People with severe allergies should remember to keep their epinephrine autoinjector with them at all times so that it’s ready when they need it.

• Monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition.
  • Give care for life-threatening emergencies.
  • Check a conscious person to determine:
    • The substance (antigen) involved
    • The route of exposure to the antigen
    • The effects of the exposure
  • Assist the person with using an epinephrine auto-injector, if available and state or local regulations allow.
  • Assist the person with taking an antihistamine, if available.
  • Document any changes in the person’s condition over time.

If you suspect someone is having a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis), it is important to seek rapid medical care. Getting early treatment with medications such as epinephrine may be life saving. Someone with known allergies should avoid allergic triggers as much as possible. If you or a loved one has a severe allergy, you should be trained to use an EpiPen, which should be used immediately after exposure to the allergen, even before seeking emergency medical care.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
If I am with an injured person, when do I call 9-1-1 before giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call first (call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number before giving care) situations are likely to be...
What do I do if there is not 9-1-1 access in my area?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A few areas still are without access to a 9-1-1 system so you will need to  use a local emergency ...
How Lifesaving CPR Works
How Lifesaving CPR Works