How should I care for someone having a severe allergic reaction?

Caring for someone having a severe allergic reaction is an emergency. Give the person epinephrine right way. Epinephrine comes in an autoinjector, which you use to inject the medicine into the person's thigh. The person should lie down (on the back if feeling sick) and stay lying down until he or she feels better.

If the person still has symptoms after using epinephrine, you should follow his or her emergency plan. You might need to give another dose of epinephrine or get the person to the emergency room for more treatment. People with severe allergies should remember to keep their epinephrine autoinjector with them at all times so that it’s ready when they need it.

• Monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition.
  • Give care for life-threatening emergencies.
  • Check a conscious person to determine:
    • The substance (antigen) involved
    • The route of exposure to the antigen
    • The effects of the exposure
  • Assist the person with using an epinephrine auto-injector, if available and state or local regulations allow.
  • Assist the person with taking an antihistamine, if available.
  • Document any changes in the person’s condition over time.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What should I do first when I get to an injured person when giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the scene and the person.Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.Care for the person.
How do I prevent spreading disease after providing emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Avoid handling any of your personal items such as pens or combs while giving care, or until you ...
How can someone at work help me if I have a seizure?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The best thing you can do for them is to protect them from injury during the seizure. Lay them on th...
In an emergency, how do I determine if the scene is safe?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene safe fo...