How do I care for a child with a fever?

General care for a fever:
  • If the child or infant has a fever, make him or her as comfortable as possible. Encourage the child to rest.
  • Make sure that the child or infant is not overdressed or covered with too many blankets. A single layer of clothing and a light blanket usually is all that is necessary.
  • Make sure that the child or infant drinks clear fluids (e.g., water, juice, or chicken broth) or continues nursing or bottle-feeding to prevent dehydration.
  • Acetaminophen or ibuprofen may be given for a fever.
  • DO NOT give the child aspirin for fever or other signs of flu-like or other viral illness. For a child, taking aspirin can result in an extremely serious medical condition called Reye’s syndrome. Reye’s syndrome is an illness that affects the brain and other internal organs. Always consult the child’s healthcare provider before giving any over-the-counter pain relievers.
High fever:

If the child has a high fever, it is important to gently cool the child. Never rush cooling down a child.

Fever related to febrile seizure:

If the fever is caused by a febrile seizure, rapid cooling could bring on other complications.
  • Remove any excessive clothing or blankets and sponge the child with lukewarm water.
  • Do not use an ice water bath or rubbing alcohol to cool down the body. Both of these approaches are dangerous.
  • Continue caring for the child or infant with a high fever as described above.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
Should I call 9-1-1 in an emergency, even if I can't give care?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Yes. The 9-1-1 operator will direct you on what you can do to provide assistance. This may include h...
What should I do if my child is unresponsive?
If your child is unresponsive, ensure that the area around your child is safe and call 911. If you h...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops