How do I care for a child or infant with a heat rash?

If the child or infant develops heat rash, give care by:
  • Removing or loosening clothing to cool down the child or infant
  • Moving the child or infant to a cool location
  • Cooling the area with wet washcloths or a cool bath and letting the skin air-dry
If the area remains irritated, use calamine lotion or a hydrocortisone cream if the child is not sensitive or allergic to these products. Avoid ointments or other lotions. They could further irritate the skin.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An emergency call taker or dispatcher will ask for your phone number and location and will ask o...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?
Worsening asthma symptoms need a quick appointment with the doctor. But if your symptoms become seve...