How do I help someone in shock?

1. Help a person in shock to lie down. Lying down often is the most comfortable position because it may lessen pain. This is important because pain can intensify the body’s stress and speed up the progression of shock. Since you may not be sure of the person’s condition, leave him or her lying flat. 
  2. Control any external bleeding. 
  3. Help the person maintain normal body temperature. If the person is cool, try to cover him or her to avoid a chill. 
  4. Do not give the person anything to eat or drink. The person’s condition may be severe enough to require surgery, in which case it is better if the stomach is empty. 
  5. Reassure the person. 
  6. Watch the person’s breathing and for any changes in his or her condition. Continue to care for the underlying injury or illness.
American Red Cross, checking vitals, insulation, maintain body temperature, victim

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do first when I get to an injured person when giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the scene and the person.Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.Care for the person.
How can I tell if an adult or a child is conscious at an emergency scene?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The adult or child may be able to speak to you. He or she may be moaning, crying, making some ot...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops