How can I help someone with a breathing emergency until EMS takes over?

• Help the person rest in a comfortable position. Usually, sitting is more comfortable than lying down because breathing is easier in that position. 
  • If the person is conscious, check for other conditions. 
  • If the person cannot talk, ask him or her to nod or shake his or her head to answer yes-or-no questions. 
  • If the person still has trouble answering questions, ask any bystanders what they know about the person's condition.
American Red Cross,child, victim, leaning forward, trying to cough, choking, airway blocked

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I prevent spreading disease after providing emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Avoid handling any of your personal items such as pens or combs while giving care, or until you ...
What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag