How can I help an adult who is not breathing due to a respiratory problem?

If an adult is not breathing because of a respiratory cause, such as drowning or drug overdose, give 2 rescue breaths after checking for breathing and before quickly scanning for severe bleeding and beginning CPR.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
What should I keep in my medicine cabinet?
Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MDDr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
This is a very difficult question to answer as what is stocked in a medicine cabinet will vary great...
How CPR Saves Lives
How CPR Saves Lives