How do I do the head-tilt/chin-lift technique on an unconscious child?

Place one hand on the forehead, and tilt the head up slightly past the neutral position. Do not flex the head and chin downward toward the chest or extend them backward.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What should I do if someone has a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, someone should be available to relay instructions if the emergency i...
How should I call for help during a medical emergency?
Brett SnodgrassBrett Snodgrass
Obviously, your first call for help should be to "911".  Remember, and teach your children, to only ...
What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you...
What do I do if there is not 9-1-1 access in my area?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A few areas still are without access to a 9-1-1 system so you will need to  use a local emergency ...