Could I get a shock if I use an AED on someone with an ICD?

It is possible to receive a mild shock if an ICD delivers a shock to the person during CPR. However, this risk of injury to responders is minimal, and the amount of electrical energy involved is low.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

In an emergency, how do I determine if the scene is safe?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your first step in a medical emergency must be to look around and ask yourself "Is the scene safe fo...
What should you do if someone passes out?
If someone passes out and does not wake back up immediately, call 911. If someone passes out and wak...
What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?
First and foremost, wash your hands. This will ensure that your hands are clean before you put on an...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with an abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for any serious abdominal injury.