Could I get a shock if I use an AED on someone with an ICD?

It is possible to receive a mild shock if an ICD delivers a shock to the person during CPR. However, this risk of injury to responders is minimal, and the amount of electrical energy involved is low.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What will emergency medical services (EMS) need to know when I call?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Generally people call emergency medical services via the 9-1-1 number for their community. The 9-1-1...
How do I remove my gloves after giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving care and making sure to never touch the bare skin with the outside of either glove, r...
Survival Skills From a Former Navy SEAL Medic