Can a lot of chest hair interfere with AED pad-to-skin contact?

Deb Cordes
Deb Cordes on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Yes, if the person has a lot of chest hair it sometimes can interfere with the pad adhering to the skin appropriately. Some AED kits come with razors and it would be beneficial to shave as much hair off as possible to ensure that you have good pad to skin contact. It is very important that you do not take too much time to shave the hair. The goal is to deliver the shock to the person as quickly as possible.

Some men have excessive chest hair that may interfere with AED pad-to-skin contact, although it's a rare occurrence.

Since time is critical in a cardiac arrest situation and chest hair rarely interferes with pad adhesion, attach the pads and analyze the heart's rhythm as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?
First and foremost, wash your hands. This will ensure that your hands are clean before you put on an...
How do I manage profuse bleeding if no one is with me?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If no one is around and you must manage profuse bleeding call for help so you will know emergency tr...
What medical conditions could prevent an injured person from speaking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In some cases, the person may not be able to speak because of a medical condition such as a lary...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?
Worsening asthma symptoms need a quick appointment with the doctor. But if your symptoms become seve...