How do I check if an unconscious person is breathing?

1. See if the person’s chest clearly rises and falls. 
  2. Listen for escaping air, and feel for it against the side of your face. 
  3. Do this for no more than 10 seconds. 
  4. A person does not appear to be struggling when breathing. The breathing is quiet, regular and does not cause discomfort or pain.

American Red Cross, recheck, breathing, look, listen

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I care for a crush injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Care for specific injuries found and assume that internal injuries are present. Also care for shock....
When assessing a person, what are signals of life-threatening injuries?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signals of life-threatening injuries include trouble breathing, no breathing, irregular breathing an...
How should I call for help during a medical emergency?
Brett SnodgrassBrett Snodgrass
Obviously, your first call for help should be to "911".  Remember, and teach your children, to only ...