What are some causes of respiratory distress and respiratory arrest?

Causes of respiratory distress and respiratory arrest include:

• Choking 
  • Illness
  • Chronic conditions, such as asthma
  • Electrocution
  • Injury to the head or brain stem, chest, lungs or abdomen
  • Allergic reactions
  • Drug overdose (especially alcohol, narcotic painkillers, barbiturates, anesthetics and other depressants)
  • Poisoning
  • Emotional distress
  • Drowning

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I prepare for heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events?
The best way to prevent heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events is hydration, hydration, hyd...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
How can the 9-1-1 call taker help me with emergency first aid?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many 9-1-1 call takers also are trained to give first aid instructions, so they can assist you w...