Should I call 9-1-1 in an emergency, even if I can't give care?

Always call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number to alert emergency personnel, even if you decide not to give care.
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
Yes. The 9-1-1 operator will direct you on what you can do to provide assistance. This may include how to give first aid, assist some one who may be having a heart attack or a breathing emergency. There are even media reports of 9-1-1 operators providing instructions on how to deliver a baby. When in doubt it is always better to call 9-1-1.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An emergency call taker or dispatcher will ask for your phone number and location and will ask o...
What qualities do I need to be a rescuer in medical emergencies?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Before you become a rescuer, be aware of your own sensitivities and physical limitations. If you...
Survival Skills From a Former Navy SEAL Medic