How does the body react to shock due to minor injuries or illness?

When someone is injured or ill, these normal body functions may be interrupted.

In cases of minor injury or illness, this interruption is brief and the body is able to recover quickly.

With more severe injuries or illnesses, the body may be unable to adjust.

Shock occurs because the body is unable to meet demand for oxygen and blood fails to circulate adequately.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I do if someone is impaled?
If you or someone is impaled on an object, do not remove the object. Learn the emergency steps t...
What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
How to Save a Life With the Texas Two Step